Who wants to celebrate?
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
I think they'll delay my use of heat for awhile. For those of you who know me well, I wait until there is a foot of snow on the ground to finally turn on my heat. What can I say - I prefer saving money and bundling up... especially with my cozy, fuzzy slippers!
Monday, September 28, 2009
Friday: Cleaned house at poker... despite having the smallest chip stack at one point in the game. Then, visited a friend and watched Californication with a tasty glass of Malbec. Funny show on Showtime. David Duchovny is a funny guy.
Saturday: Slept in. Did a little of nothing. Then went on a quick pit stop at Northgate with Maddie. I was on a hunt for something, but didn't find it.
Then, we ran by Thai Ocean (oh, how I miss you...) for some din din before heading to the 304 to watch the Huskies. It was a sad game, but I am not losing faith! It's still a much better season than I would have ever expected!
At night, we headed over to Oliver's Twist in Phinney to surprise Chrissy for her birthday! It was fun. I had a delicious French 75. I highly recommend it.
Sunday: Slept in again. Amazing. Talked on the phone with my mom for awhile. Made myself a little brunch. Watched a little Elf (note: it's never too early for Elf). Took an afternoon nap. Finally, I geared myself up for our 11 mile run. We actually did quite well! I think I'm ready for the big 13.1 this weekend. Well, I hope so.
Overall, great weekend! And now I have a rather exciting weekend ahead... Hope this week goes by quickly!
Friday, September 25, 2009
(this pic is when we were high rollin' at Jaison's sweet pad in Bellevue.)
Thursday, September 24, 2009
This year marks the 5th annual trip east of the mountains and in true former-sorority-member fashion, what did we decide to do? Make a t-shirt to commemorate the momentous occasion.
For a little context, last year our favorite Oktoberfest band, Die Hockfellner, was trying to excite the crowd between songs and would shout in their adorable German accents: "Is here a party?" and the such. We couldn't get enough of it. Hence, our decision to create a shirt that proudly displays the fabulous phrase. This is the masterpiece design that Kotis put together for us. Isn't it amazing?! I know, you're jealous... with good reason.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
A couple weeks back, Autumn asked me to join her and Ryan on the last night of Duck Dodge (awesome sailing race!!) of the summer... but I had kickball playoffs that night. Bummer of a deal.
Duck Dodge 2010, I can already hear you calling my name.
*You know you worked too late when you can snap a picture of Duck Dodge outside your office window... Duck Dodge doesn't start until 7pm.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
The evening was filled with good food, great wine (a Malbec and Grenache) and even better company. I'd say it was the perfect way to start a week.
I searched in the depths of my closet and pulled out one of my fave dresses from Banana Republic. I got it as my reward when I first started my job a couple years back; it's wool, gray, has pockets (a huge selling point for me!), super comfy, can be worn with or without a shirt underneath and always gets a few comments when I first bring it out for the season. And it's classic enough to be worn year after year!
Today I like it even more because I didn't just find $1 or $5, but a whoppin' $21! Maybe I'll put this toward my savings for these.
Monday, September 21, 2009
My apartment isn't messy, but I think it's due for a deep cleaning -
[The second part is only because dancing and singing makes cleaning a lot more fun. Who doesn't like a little Whitney when wiping down a windowsill?]
Sunday, September 20, 2009
...some teenage angst
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Friday, September 18, 2009
I remember back in the day when nothing could beat a sugary mess of white fluffy goodness: Marshmallows. As a kid, these are a luxury, reserved for major sugar highs during camping trips - one marshmallow for a s'more, one marshmallow by itself, one for s'more...
I really, really liked them, but I decided I should wait.
I waited too long. The navy glitter Toms shoes are no longer. I guess I'll have to find an alternative. Silver, maybe?
The best part is that for every pair you buy, Toms will give a new pair of shoes to a child in need. I'm a sucker for good causes.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
2. Free pizza from the office.
3. All the proposal troopers.
4. Track changes. Makes editing sooo much easier.
5. Printing from the office and avoiding Kinkos. If only the printer was ultra-quick...
6. And most importantly, thank you Friday. You are almost here :)
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
For the time being, I am driving this mammoth truck through the city streets. I've seen many people doing a double-take of me... probably expecting to see a burly man controlling such a piece of machinery. But no, Petes McGee is proudly at the wheel.
I love big trucks. But I also like fuel-efficient vehicles. Quite a conundrum.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
I just had another craving and I remembered that McCormick's downstairs had some the other day, so I called them up. Guess what? They had them again today!
Kathryn so graciously offered to share one with me because, well, this probably isn't the best habit for my waistline. Oh well. I'm running to make up for it.
It's been quite a busy day around here, so I also got one for my boss. I think she's very excited. I have a sneaky suspicion that she is quite a cupcake connoisseur herself.
I also want to make these. Geez, I have quite the sweet tooth lately!
Goal: Get my butt into gear and stick to my training schedule!
My motivation will be to not get injured on the race because the reality is, if I don't continue to run, I'm going to hurt myself and then not be able to do anything after the race. (Even if that sounds magical right now, I still am quite excited to start up yoga again post-race!)
Monday, September 14, 2009
Between the six of us, we were able to check off a lot of fair food staples, including corn on the cob, gyro, fresh lemonade, scones, krusty pup, blooming onion and possibly more that I might be forgetting.
While the food is obviously the main attraction, we also managed to check out the farm animals, grange displays, hand washing test booth, a cool Africa exhibit, Hobby Hall and just overall good people watching.
I've decided that the reason the fair is fun is because you can be a complete dork... I mean, really, who gets that excited about voting for the People's Choice of grange displays? (Note: I voted for Skagit; showing the hometown some love)
Courtesy of Kimber's quick picture upload...
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Just so happens, we chose the right hood (Ballard) to go to dinner. They were shooting at the Matador which was renamed Mazzoni's or something for the shoot.
We got in trouble for taking pictures in the middle of the shoot. Oops.
But now I can say that I was within 5 feet of Spiderman.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Therefore, I'm starting off this weekend with a big ol' smile. I have a lot to look forward to:
- Company "summer" party is finally happening. The theme is something like, "We're Great Americans/Yay, Don is still alive!" (Ask for the story if you want)
- Dinner with Stephanie and Muriel tonight.
- Then meeting up with the other girls, including Karen who is in town for the weekend!
- Seeing the rents and probably taking them to lunch for putting up with my displays of anger (read: I still don't like Jiffy Lube) and helping out tremendously this past week.
- Christina's final fling before the ring!
- Hitting up the Puyallup Fair on Sunday and eating everything that comes into my path. Why is fair food so good?
Who knows that other adventures lie in the weekend ahead. Hope you all have a great one!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Thank you so, soo much for my cupcake! I understand that you were probably trying to get me to stop talking about cupcakes, but I don't know if this method will work.
Now the cupcake is staring at me, saying, "Eat me, Erika!" And my stomach is responding, "Give me a break, you just ate a lot of pasta for lunch!" Then, my mind is retorting, "Dude, just eat the cupcake. It looks sooo good!"
I honestly can't wait to eat my cupcake. It's even prettier than this picture. It's decorated with stars and has two giant chocolate straws sticking out of it.
Erika and her Cupcake Kick
Note: So I started a "Morale Team" with Kathryn for our office; We are trying to promote random acts of kindness by posting everyone's favorite iced/hot drinks and snacks. Man, I've totally reaped the benefits the last two days. Yesterday: Susie surprised me with an Iced Tea Lemonade. Today: A lovely, scrumptious cupcake! Wow. I'm lucky.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
(*Sunday: Car situation. Monday: Maddie and I were within inches of being hit by a car that sped through a red light at an intersection. She screamed. I nearly peed my pants. The intersection was at a standstill. Yikes.)
But instead, since this was somewhat decided for me by the fates of the car gods:
Goal: Use alternate means of transportation all week.
So far, so good. I ran yesterday. Today I rode the bus. Tomorrow I'm thinking about biking to work. Then Thursday, maybe even walk the 2.5 miles to work. Friday - maybe I'll hitch hike? I look intimidating enough to ward off the weirdos, right?
On another topic, remember Superman?
Well, he managed to make me snort from laughing so hard yesterday. (Which, I guess, isn't too difficult to do.) He read my post about his galiant efforts and followed-up with an amazing picture message.
Monday, September 7, 2009
So here we are: 2 girls, 1am, freezing cold outside and raining, 60 miles from Seattle.
After a few desperate calls to some friends, random new friends from the Gorge, Allstate, Emergency Roadside Assistance... The best option was: Dad.
Dad = Superman
Since they live way north, we bundled up in the 1 blanket we had and attempted to sleep.
However, it's really hard to do because
1. The semis were so loud in passing
and we kept thinking they were coming right for our tail.
2. Doesn't Bigfoot live in Snoqualmie Pass?!
3. The Hollywood-induced sensationalist in me just knew
that my car was going to suddenly blow into smithereens.
But we still got some rest.
Then we heard the trumpets blowing.
The rain clouds parted.
And Superman came to rescue us!
(He even brought the very supportive Mrs. Superman.)
At this point, it was 4:15am.
Superman brought us home and we were in bed as the morning light began to fill the crisp Autumn sky.
At approximately 6:00am, my head finally hit my pillow.
At about 7:30am, Mr. and Mrs. Superman's heads hit their pillows.
As I am writing this, Superman is working on a few hours of sleep
and towing my car down the pass.
I'm so lucky.
He's a wonderful guy.
And so is Mrs. Superman.
(And I owe him BIG!)
(And I'm sorry Dave, but you were worth the ride over...
but definitely not the ride back.)
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Last year I tailgated for the opening game vs. Oklahoma like this. It was awesome. Even if we had to tailgate with diehard Sooners, it was well worth it. Thanks, Cool Bob!
Friday, September 4, 2009
It's been one of those whirlwind kind of weeks. Here's what went down.
- I had to do 37 loads of laundry.
- I got to wear pretty dresses/skirts everyday.
- We dominated in kickball, 23-4. AND, I was Player of the Game! (Well, with JJ) The proof is here. We're currently in 2nd, but I have faith that we'll take the championship!
- Another game, another fun evening with the team at Leny's.
- Got to see the Straubster who I don't get to see often enough.
- Fantastic happy hour on the deck at Maximilien in the Pike Place Market to finally celebrate Kathryn's and my promotion!
- Busy, busy at work.
- Lost 5 pounds from just peeling alone. Will it ever stop?
- Found out that Josh is coming to visit me! (Or just Seattle in general, but I can't help but think it's mostly for me, right?)
- Planned a much-needed night of karaoke for Saturday with my partner in crime, Tronics. It's been far too long since our moment of stardom. We're trying something new: The Waterwheel Lounge in Ballard, per Kimber's suggestion.
- Stephanie actually won the Dave Matthews tickets from commenting on my SeattlePI blog! (And she won Seahawks tickets. I should stick around her so some luck wears off on me...) And guess who she is taking? Yours truly. Thanks, Stephers!
- I fulfilled my craving for sushi for lunch yesterday.
- Scheduled brunch with Kathryn, Katie and Maggie this weekend!
- Uploading and re-tagging and re-captioning my photos like a dozen times. It must have been the red wine I was consuming; messing with my technology abilities...
- I started back on my training, even if I only did short runs. (The race is in a month! Damn.)
- Worked with Kotis Design to create our 5th Annual Leavenworth Oktoberfest t-shirts! Ladies, I'm tellin' ya, the initial proofs are awesome. Just wait for the finished product!
- Tomorrow UW plays the other purple and gold team: LSU. Go Dawgs!
Now this is how excited I am for a 3-day weekend!