Friday, April 12, 2013

Taco Tuesday

I realize it's not Tuesday. In fact, I'm keenly aware that it's Friday. (TGIF!) But we ate tacos on Tuesday, so that's my logic behind Taco Tuesday. That's Friday logic, if you ask me.

Anyway, when the weather doesn't require down jackets and I'm craving Mexican, we switch from taco soup to straight-up tacos. (And every time we make them, I sing this song to Joe. There is no visual, but I think the audio explains it all. He's a lucky man to have me, huh?)

A few things I'd note about these tacos:
  • Secret ingredients to good homemade tacos: lime, radish and fresh cilantro. Sure, you have all of these when you go out for tacos, but how often do you have these ingredients when you make them at home? Am I right? :)
  • I like to switch it up and use "fake cotija", which is feta - cotija is the traditional Mexican cheese. A little different than the original, but quite tasty. And the fat free feta variety tastes just as good as the original in a taco.
  • Without fail, I get overexcited about the toppings and overload my tacos. Then the tortilla fails and I have to finish eating them with a fork. You'd think I'd learn. So I'm sharing so that you maybe learn from my own lesson? But wouldn't blame you for not.
 Here's what's included and how it's done:
  • Lean ground turkey and a packet of  reduced sodium taco seasoning. Cook it.
  • Corn tortillas - since we clearly don't have one of those fancy steam presses they use at taco places, I microwave them for 30 seconds with a wet paper towel - it gets a little moisture in so they are less likely to crack.
  • Chop tomatoes, radishes, avocados, cilantro and red onion.
  • Non-choppable extras to top it off: fat-free sour cream and feta cheese.
  • Load your tortillas with the goods! And enjoy with a Corona. Or margarita. And if you don't have either, a standard beer shall do. And if you don't have a beer in the fridge, what kind of American are you? Kidding. But maybe you should go grocery shopping?

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails