Thursday, December 29, 2011
Friday, December 23, 2011
P.S. Josh, Brian and Judy, you were an extremely close second. I just couldn't resist Suze's Farrah flip!
Thursday, December 22, 2011
Fast forward 20+ years. On our third date, Joe made me Swedish pancakes, some sort of Scandinavian soup and glögg. Not your typical way into a girl's heart, but it worked for yours truly. I remember watching him do his thing in the kitchen and thinking, "yep, the Aunties and Grandma Pete would approve."
This year when we made a batch, it brought back both memories and made me smile. Now that's a reason to cheers. Or as the Swedes say, skål!
(P.S. Joe's recipe involves port, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, almond slices, raisins, orange peel and maybe something else I'm missing. But here's a basic recipe.)
So in place of snail mail (which I know is like 10x better!), I had a little
P.S. Do you like the return of the seasonal Petes Speaks?!
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
You know it's a party when...
- You're celebrating someone who is getting married. (Yay Lianna!)
- Your party involves wine tasting at a barn on Whidbey Island.
- There are photo opps' a plenty.
- You make Christmas ornaments.
- Your evening involves limbo with a boa and other rather girlish games.
- There are 20+ ladies filled into one cabin - dancing (or watching the incredible dancers) the night away.
(Mads and Steph recap the bachelorette weekend too!)
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011
During our stroll, I was taking photos with my Instagram app. I still haven't decided which filter I like best - Earlybird, Lomo-fi, Valencia? If you have it, what are your favorites?
Thursday, December 15, 2011
I rest my case.
This is my "Look at me! I'm making gnocchi" face.
I froze the gnocchi for a few minutes to ensure they didn't fall apart on me. Worked wonders! (That's a Maddie trick!)
P.S. Crossing something off my 30 before Thirty list!
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
We also got to watch the adorable Katierie and Taryn, our close family friends. They love their Miss Koby. And Miss Koby loves them :)
Monday, December 12, 2011
But most importantly, I now have a personal assistant, Siri. She can text or email for me, find answers to trivial facts and keep me entertained for hours. She has quite a sense of humor (check out how funny Siri is). I asked her the age old woodchuck question and she even knew the answer.
Siri, I'm excited for our budding friendship. I look forward to all of your support and sometimes snarky responses!
Friday, December 9, 2011
Have a festive holiday weekend, friends!
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Overall, it was... good. I chose Nilla wafers as the dippers and I think they brought the dip to the next level. (Never underestimate the power of a dipper.) I can't decide if I didn't like it as much because I knew the base was GARBANZO BEANS or if it really wasn't cookie dough flavored enough? At any rate, people did eat most of it, so it must have been decent, right? Though after time, I think people got skeptical since the small remainder of the "cookie dough" was sitting out for hours. And then started to sweat - almond butter oil? My verdict: If you want something sweet and healthy, give it a try. If you want something sweet and don't care about the calories, have some ice cream :)
Cookie Dough Dip (I doubled this recipe)
1.5 cups chickpeas (1 can, drained)
1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
Tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond butter
Up to 1/4 cup nondairy milk (Start with 1 T, and add more as needed)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips
2 to 3 T oats
Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to a blender or food processor, and blend until very smooth. Then mix in the chocolate chips.
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Monday, December 5, 2011
Once I'm caught up with everything I left behind for the weekend, I'll share the whole scoop on the weekend. Happy Monday!
Friday, December 2, 2011
Even though I turned my pointe shoes in for dance team pom poms (after nearly 10 years of ballet!), I still have a soft spot in my heart for the grace and beauty of ballet. Especially when it involves people you love! Good luck and break a leg, Audrey and Jenna!
Thursday, December 1, 2011
(Erika's addition: Red pepper flakes! I add them to almost everything for a nice kick.)
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Sunday, November 27, 2011
We opted to keep they turkey simple with butter, rosemary and a tiny bit of garlic, then filled the turkey with Grandma Novak's famous stuffing. Add in the cranberry sauce I made the night before, plus a few more side dishes brought by our parents, and we were ready to give thanks. Good food. (No dry turkey!) Delicious desserts. Great company. I can definitely say that I have a lot to be thankful for. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving too!
P.S. Don't you love my place setting? It's my grandma's old china that will one day be mine. It would have been her 82nd birthday on Thanksgiving, so my mom brought it down for the occasion. I think she'd be happy it was put to good use :)
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
- Have you seen his beautiful blue eyes?
- And that smile. It certainly lights up a room.
- We make a killer cooking duo.
- He's proud of his Swedish heritage, which is uber-convenient for me to keep it alive in my family.
- He's a perfect travel buddy.
- He sits through a chick flick now and again.
- He values education, which is important to me.
- He knows the perfect response to, "does this look ok on me?"
- He's a total gentleman.
- When he's killing me on the tennis court, I can tell he gets a little loose on what's in or out. (Giving me the advantage, thank you)
- My family adores him and I adore his family. Ditto in the friend department.
- He is a genuinely good, good person.
- Nurse Joe takes care of me when I'm sick. (Plus, let's me take care of him when he's under the weather.) He also has this crazy, quick instinct to ask if I'm ok when I hurt myself.
- Tech Joe takes care of my technology.
- He likes going on adventures like snowshoeing or finding new hikes.
- We laugh together a lot. A lot.
- In every situation, he has such great perspective.
- He still gives me butterflies.
- We want the same things out of life.
- He's absolutely perfect.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Joe, I thank my lucky stars I found you. I love you dearly. Happy Anniversary!
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
After the snowy getaway, we found ourselves smack dab in the middle of Fall in Seattle again. Isn't it weird how quickly the seasons change? Before we know it, it'll be Christmas! Until then, I'll enjoy the last few weeks of Fall.
Monday, November 21, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
I imagine that people would do just about anything to stop a baby from crying. If playing a little Biggie Smalls does the trick, then I say go for it. Shoot, this baby already has some swagger, if you ask me.
Remember when the dad got into the crib to stop his little one from crying? So stinkin' cute.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
What do you think? Would you give these a shot?
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
- Where is he? Oh, you know, just at his full-grown buddy's house.
- His buddy has a ball pit?! Duh. What else are you going to do with an empty basement?
- Does he have children? Nah, he is just young at heart.
- Umm, what about making a bar in the basement instead? Don't you worry, there is also a fully stocked bar. Like fully stocked. And a personal movie theater.
- Ok, back to the ball pit, how deep is it? About 4 feet. You could lose a small child in there. Luckily, this is a bachelor pad, so there will be no children lost in the sea of plastic, colorful balls.
- Can I visit this house?! I'll have to get back to you on this one, but I have a hunch that he wouldn't turn away any good-lookin' ladies.
Any other unanswered questions?
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Talk about coolest high schooler ever. Her class was required to memorize Hamlet's "To be or not to be" sollioquy, so she figured it would be easier with a melody. And a ukelele! Why didn't I think of that back in the day? Who knows, maybe chemistry would have been my thing if sung to the tune of "In Da Club" or "Cannonball"? Please don't judge me for my taste in music; it's gotten
Oh, and the teacher's verdict? A+
Monday, November 14, 2011
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Kamron, I love you to pieces and I hope your birthday was everything you hoped for. Sending you many hugs and kisses. And no rubbing off my kisses! Not all girls have cooties :)
Photo circa 2006/Dad's camera