Monday, September 17, 2012

Goodwill Gold

The same day I picked up my lamp, we also came across this little number at Goodwill. I wasn't completely sold on it at first because there were some dirt smudges and the frame was just plain ugly, but since I grew up on the water, it felt like an ode to home. And for only $13, I decided to take a risk and see if I could spiffy it up to fill the void on an empty wall in my living room. At least until I could buy some art that I really, really loved.

So we brought it home, even though Joe remained skeptical. First, I used a damp rag to rub off the dirt marks, which worked wonders - it came off and even make the paint wet again, so it looked like an original brushstroke. Then, I used some brown paint we had laying around to paint the frame. What a transformation!

Now it's hung proudly on the wall and completely complements the room - with the greens, blues and browns - it's the perfect fit. I'm not sure I'll even need to look for a replacement any time soon. What do you think?


P.S. It's signed by a Hendrickson, dated 1965 - it's like a little piece of history! Fun, huh?

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a completely different piece after the paint! Good find!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails