Sunday, February 13, 2011

21 things I'd like to tell my 17 year-old self

Baby Erika & Josh

I recently came across a post that someone wrote about what she'd tell her 17 year-old self. I liked it, so I thought I'd create my own. What would your list say?
  1. Run. I wish you would have started running earlier in life. You’ll really enjoy it.
  2. The distance won’t have much of an effect on your amazing high school friendships. Some are there to stay. You are lucky.
  3. You'll also find many amazing friends in college.
  4. Feel free to have crushes and all that jazz, but don’t worry about that too much. You’ll meet the one when you’re 26. (I know, seems like forever away, but maybe you can try meeting him earlier? He lives right off the Burke. Literally only 2 minutes away from you in college. Go find him and tell him Future Erika told you too. I'm sure that won't freak him out, will it?)
  5. Work less. Take a day off in the summer more often. Shoot, take a week off.
  6. Take more pictures. Especially Polaroids when they are still cheap.
  7. Don’t sweat the small stuff. In the long run, it's usually not that big of a deal.
  8. Shhh, but Josh likes men. He can’t be your “back-up”, but he’s one helluva a friend.
  9. Explore Skagit Valley and surrounding areas more. Hikes, drives, rivers and lakes.
  10. Drive a bit slower on the back roads. Just because they are straight and stretch on for eternity, it’s just not safe. Listen to your parents on this one.
  11. Don't worry so much about what other people say.
  12. Learn how to make Swedish flatbread, cinnamon rolls and other treats with your Grandma Pete.
  13. You don’t tan. Just accept it. Embrace the pale.
  14. Samish Island is a utopia. Soak it up while you’re there.
  15. Write more. You actually enjoy it and will later do it for a living.
  16. On that note, medicine is not for you. You'll have a little crisis about not going into medicine your freshmen year of college, but it's for the best. You'll enjoy college more without it.
  17. Talk to more people outside your circle of friends.
  18. Cook more. Give your mom a break more often because it's pretty fun.
  19. Don't cut your hair short after every dance season. Long hair suits you better. Seriously.
  20. Trust your intuition.
  21. There's no need to be self-conscious, but I understand if you still are. Aren't most 17 year-olds?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post Erika! Wow, I know a couple of things I would tell myself...haha! And that picture of baby Erika is precious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails