Tuesday, April 6, 2010

And for dessert.

As promised, my Easter dessert: Tiramisu. A dessert that I fell in love with when studying abroad in Italy. I've had bad tiramisu before so I hoped to pull this one off, especially since my sister had never tried the delicious dessert. (Italian translation of Tiramisu: Pick-me-up... and as our Italian professor told us, it's a aphrodisiac. Interesting.)

Verdict: Success!

The recipe I used isn't your traditional recipe, but super easy. I'd highly recommend giving it a shot.


Ingredients
3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 packages (3 ounces each) soft ladyfingers
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Erika's secret additions: cinnamon and pure vanilla extract (Straube, are you proud I didn't use imitation?)

Directions
In a medium bowl, mix espresso powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water until dissolved. Add 1 1/2 cups cold water; set aside.

With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with heavy cream and sugar until light and fluffy.

Spread a few tablespoons of cream-cheese mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish. Separate ladyfingers. One by one, dip a third of ladyfingers in espresso, then arrange in bottom of dish. Spread with a third of cream-cheese mixture. Repeat twice with remaining ladyfingers, espresso, and cream-cheese mixture (can be refrigerated, covered, up to 1 day).

Dust with cocoa just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails