Monday, January 31, 2011
Friday, January 28, 2011
- Seattle Thunderbirds are terribly young. There was a 15-year-old on the ice!
- I must be getting old because every time they got into a fight, I would grimace instead of cheer. But don't tell the diehards that sat behind us.
- Kent and/or hockey attracts an odd crowd.
- I'm happy that America chooses football (or baseball?) as our spot of choice, unlike Canada.
- There are only 3 periods in the game, not 4 like I expected.
- On the JumboTron, they were welcoming groups and all of a sudden "Dip-A-Palooza" appeared. I quickly texted Holden and they were only a few sections away! (Speaking of, DAP7 post to come with video teaser.)
- I want to learn how to skate backwards. Or just go ice skating. And watch Kathryn do a triple-axel since she used to skate competively.
Hope everyone has a wonderful, relaxing weekend!
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Today, I bought an adorable little girl her school uniform. It's a small price to pay, but every little bit helps these girls get the education they deserve. An education that many of us take for granted.
Up next, maybe I'll buy a little girl her backpack (which happens to be Hannah Montana!) or little black shoes?
What would you buy?
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
They are delicious though, especially if you're a chocolate fan!
Any easy recipe recommendations for our next baking day?
Monday, January 24, 2011
Friday, January 21, 2011
- This "short" week (I had to work a half day on Monday) has felt like eternity and I can't wait for a little breather.
- It's Joe's birthday on Sunday! When I tell him he's an old man, he responds with, "How's that seat at the kid's table?" Touche.
- Due to #2, we're getting a drink with a few friends on Saturday at the Dutch.
- And Joe and I are going to dinner on Sunday somewhere fun. Place still TBD. Suggestions?
- I'm SO excited to give him his present! I'll announce what I got him on Monday. I know, leaving you at the edge of your seat.
- Thunderbirds hockey game tonight!
- Sleeping in.
- A possible run with Autumn?
- There is only a small chance of rain this weekend.
- Joe's birthday is also our 14 month marker. Crazy how time flies, huh?
What are you excited for this weekend?
Thursday, January 20, 2011
My mom saved a few pairs of my clogs from when I was a wee one and they are frickin' adorable.
It's kind of fun that clogs are making a comeback. Are you eyeing a pair yourself?
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
- Communicate better. I am a "communications professional", yet sometimes I don't have quality communications with people enough. Maybe try calling more than texting? Or sending a quick "hello" email to people, just for fun.
- Mix up the workout routine. I usually only run. Run, run, run. But I want to throw in a hip hop or yoga class here and there. It's fun, so why not?
- Strategically use my vacation days. I don't think this will be a problem if we do end up going to Sweden, but the fact that I've put myself into a 'use them or lose them' situation this year means that I didn't take enough time off. But thinking back, I was often too busy to take time off. It's a vicious cycle, but it's ending in 2011: the year of using my given vacation days.
- Continue to try new recipes. In the last year, I've never cooked so much in my life and I loved all of the experimentation. Let's keep it up, Petes.
- Host more parties. They don't have to be fancy and elaborate, but a game night here and a wine night there is always a good idea. Maybe even a wine & chocolate tasting party? Who is in?
- Don't get so caught up with what's happening tomorrow. Focus on the now and enjoy it. It's in my nature to always look ahead, but sometimes I find myself doing that way too much. I need to enjoy the moment I'm in too.
I'm sure more "resolutions" or goals will come to mind, but I'll start with this list. It's challenging, yet not unattainable.
What are your resolutions?
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Please note: The contents of this video might be seen as gory. Consider yourself warned.
Monday, January 17, 2011
I'm a little behind in sharing a few tasty recipes I've tried recently. I feel like I owe it to you. And so, I share.
First, last weekend I made Pioneer Woman's cauliflower soup and The Bread. Please note the capital "T" and capital "B". That bread really deserves more than capitals. If I could (read: if my body allowed me to intake that much butter without consequence), I would work this side into every meal. It still boggles my mind that only two ingredients (butter and bread) can create such amazing flavor! It's all about the broiling. Oh, and the cauliflower soup: delish.
This weekend, Joe and I had a Mediterranean-themed meal with a greek salad and tuscan bread soup. The homemade dressing on the greek salad turned your average greek salad into something well-above average. And the tuscan soup? Not only is it simple, it's actually pretty healthy. Who would have known that throwing bread in soup could take it to the next level?
Friday, January 14, 2011
Well, maybe. Joe and I hope to go this summer, but there are a lot of factors coming into play so we'll see.
However, it doesn't mean we can't get excited for it, right? Like plan it out day-by-day and create an Excel spreadsheet budget? Yes, total nerd alert here. (My budgeting skills are off the hook - for our road trip, I was only $40 off!) Part of the Sweden plan includes staying on a SHIP in Stockholm! Wouldn't that just be awesome? Check out some of the fun rooms, with porthole and all!
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Friday, January 7, 2011
Aren't these knobs perfect?
Thursday, January 6, 2011
In the meantime, I share with you: New Years Eve Celebration 2011. It was at RyRy's and there was champagne bottle poppin', appetizer grazin', funny hat wearin', sparklers sparklin' and a moustache moustachin'. The latter was only rocked by Officer Newsome. And he totally rocks it. Though we did learn that Straubs has secretly tried to shave it in his sleep. Seriously. You can call her Sneaky Straubs from now on.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
So on our little mini-trip to Leavenworth, we went on 2 snowshoeing adventures. Once in Leavenworth and once at Stevens Pass, but on the other side of the ski area. At Stevens, we gained some major elevation and weren't too far from the top! I kept blaming my lack of breath on the high elevation... I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with my lack of exercise recently, right? In Leavenworth, however, it was a bit more flat. But we did forge the river because it was frozen over! I guess they call is Icicle River for a reason.
We even "off-roaded" a bit, which was my favorite part.
And I found this hole in the snow and took a rest.
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
We meandered around the town, ate a schweinshaxe, drank German beer, wine tasted (did you know they now have 13 tasting rooms in the town?), visited the hat shop and Nutcracker museum, watched the Huskies win the Holiday Bowl and more! (Our snowshoeing adventures to come) Ironically, Erik, Shelly and Johan (Joe's family) were in town our last day, so we also visited with them over a drink and some sledding.
Overall, fabulous little mini-trip!
Nutcrackers galore. Joe was excited.
As I was trying to take of photo of Joe and Johan, all of a sudden the little bugger came crashing down directly for me. Then this continued for a good 30 minutes. I haven't seen a little kiddo laugh that much in a long time. Good times.
Monday, January 3, 2011
We ate good food. Played Apple to Apples. Drank good wine. Ate more good food. You know, the basics. Overall, it was a wonderful Christmas!