Monday, June 14, 2010

DIY: Picnic Basket

It's no lie that I love me some picnics. For the past several summers, I've taken part in countless picnics at Green Lake or Golden Gardens. And while reusable grocery bags do effectively get picnic items from Point A to Point B, I love the idea of getting a cute little picnic basket.

So I've been on the search for a cheap option, but no one seems to be getting it right. Actually, those that do, are like a zillion dollars, which I'm not willing to spend. Last year, I looked at JoAnns and Target, but nothing won me over. This year has been just as fruitless.

What's a girl to do? Well, this girl asked her mom if she had a basket that I could snag. She did, but it looked like this (this is the bigger version, same design of the actual basket that I spruced up, but I forgot to take a before shot):


Needless to say, we're not in 1993 anymore when grape vines were cool. Today, well, it looks dated. That's when this DIY project came to light.

First idea, paint the top. So I sanded it down and painted it blue. It looked ok, but it wasn't as I had envisioned. Then my mom had the brilliant idea of gluing fabric on it. So we riffled through her collection and found some scratch fabric from an apron she made me for Christmas. Perfect.

Next update, the handle. Conveniently, it broke off which got me thinking of how to remedy that situation. Ah-ha - an old belt! So I cut up an old belt that was on its way to the Goodwill. I think I like it better than the original handle!

Meet my new picnic basket. This, my friends, calls for some major picnicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails